Medal Boutonnieres

There is a whole world of awesome non-flower Boutonnieres out there. Not that there is anything wrong with real flower Boutonnieres, they just seem kind of expensive, short-lived, and difficult to make. Not to mention they have to be made LAST MINUTE, and anything I can cross off my list before the week of the wedding is awesome in my book.

I scrolled around on Pinterest and Wedding Blogs to find what kind of non-floral Boutonniere worked best for us. In the end I stumbled upon this (oh Martha, how I love thee!) adorable little Brass Engraved Boutonniere! So precious, but at $20 a medal  + engraving costs (and 5, originally 6 Groomsmen) that would cost way too much, were on a budget here people! I also thought it seemed silly to spend that money on an engraved charm that I doubt any of his groomsmen would actually want to keep.

Next I found this Wooden Carved Medal Boutonniere on Etsy. Soooo Cool! But similar deal to the first one. It’s just too expensive for a bunch of boys who will likely leave them on the hotel nightstand the next day. But I really liked the striped ribbon look that the first one was lacking.

In the end I decided to try to make my own. Here are the supplies I used:

– 1 1/2″ Stainless Steel Disc with Hole

-1 1/2″ Grosgrain Yellow Ribbon

-Rooster Tail Feather Yellow

-Stainless Steal Jump Rings (I forget what size I did, on tiny, one a little bigger. Both purchased at Joanns)

-1″ Pin Back

-Smallest sheet of Balsa Wood I could buy (purchased at Joanns)

-Grey paint

-White Sharpie paint pen

-1/2″ Dark Grey Ribbon

-1 Full sheet of “sticker” (there is an office supply store in town that sells them individually for 10 cents)

Also:

-Craft Glue

-Iron

-Scissors

-printer

-Photoshop.

Alright, after listing it all out it seems like quite the project, but I swear it wasnt too hard. I also really do think it was the most economical way to get what we wanted. As for how I designed them, I winged it. The hardest part was folding the ribbon so it created that medal through the loop look. I used an iron to press the seems, and did a little cutting so that back of the ribbon tucked in nicely, then just glued it down. Same with the grey ribbon and feather at the top, just ironed and glued. The feather was actually a random last-minute add on that I really like, its quirky.

For the medal, they actually came with white plastic on them to protect their “shiny-ness” which was awesome with all the gluing and ironing around them. I finally got around to creating the little circle in Photoshop last week. I had originally thought I would have it printed on actual circle labels, but then I realized it would be soooo much easier to just print it on a sheet of label and cut the circles out. Voila!

As for the name “plaque” at the top. I tried to find a little metal square somewhere that I could just glue on and write on, but nothing fit. In the end I bought a strip of Balsa wood and had Mr. Gaunt cut it into little 1.5″ strips about 1/4″ tall and painted them grey to match the ribbon. Then I used a fine point paint pen in White to write their first initial and last name. They aren’t perfect, but very personal.

One of the things I like most about these, is how they look with the shirts I picked out. The Groomsmen outfits are the only “all matching” thing I really wanted in the wedding. Their shirts were something I put some thought into. I didn’t want just plain white boring shirts, I wanted a little bit of classy Pizzaz! So I picked these Kenneth Cole shirts that have just the faintest white-on-white stripe on them. I love how the stripes on my Boutonnieres match up with the stripes on the shirts. Eeek! They will be so cute!

Dried Wedding Flowers

I decided because all of my bridesmaids will be wearing grey, that I wanted to spice things up with their flowers. Originally I had wanted them all to carry little potted plants, however we decided that would be a bit awkward for them as they wouldn’t be able to link arms with their groomsmen and they would look kind of like they were presenting me with an offering…which is weird. So last week I decided to just order a few dried flowers that I will mix with some greenery for bouquets.

The things I ordered are dried Billy Balls, and dried yellow Babies Breath! It’s actually really cool.

I’m very exited for these to show up so I can play around with them! I think they will be super cute. This last weekend I went with my MOH Mallory to help her find a dress and shoes AND I bought my own wedding shoes. It was an excellent shopping trip that ended with SPRAY TANS! Today I look like I should be on the Jersey shore….very entertaining.

Wedding Colors

I have decided on Mustard Yellow and Grey as our wedding colors. I wanted to show some pictures so my friends and family who might cringe at this color choice can see that it is actually quite lovely. I plan to do VERY subtle hints of yellow, and mostly grey’s and neutrals. I do however like the idea of doing a splash of peach (there’s a pic near the bottom that shows this) but we will see. I’m not doing a matchy-matchy wedding, but I thought I needed a bit of a color scheme to go off of.