Calm Before the Storm + DIY PROJECTS!

I’m sitting alone in my house at 2pm. The boys have gone off on a hike, and it’s still 3 hours before my sister come over to help me get ready for my Bachelorett Party.

This morning I have already cleaned my house, finished all of our Bridesmaids/Groomsmen/Mom Gift bags. Went to the Farmers Market to look at flowers for bouquets, AND convinced myself to eat a bunch of Greek Yogurt so I don’t die on my first alcoholic beverage tonight. Nerves make it hard to eat, which is not something I have ever found difficult….eating that is.

But now my house is clean and quiet and I have time to relax and share a few pictures with you. In one week, I will be 3 hours away from being Mrs. Gaunt (and not in the skinny sort of way).

First up is these cute little Photo Clips I got in the Dollar Bins at Target. They will be used to hold little signs that say what food items are and if they are vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free etc. However the color would NOT do! So I took ’em outside and spray painted them Mustard! It took like 4 coats to hide the neon. They aren’t super durable (like I could scrape all the paint off if I really tried) but they were cheap and will do for 1 day.

That Mustard colored spray paint was actually well worth the $8 I spent. I’m glad I got a color I wanted and not some yucky bright yellow. I have painted a number of things with it, including a bunch of frames I got for a Dollar at the salvation Army. I’m using them to put little signs in to tell people where to sit and what to drink and the number of the cab company (NO DRINKING AND DRIVING AT MY WEDDING!)

And a bunch of other little projects, the cats are Hula…duh, they will be stuck in our succulents as Table numbers.  The wine bottles are recycled from my moms bar, and labeled with little H2O Rain drops I printed off. There are some cake stands I made from little Sundae Dishes glued onto plates (and wooden trays) and spray painted, so easy so cheap (if you get the dishes from Goodwill like I did). Also there are the Boutonnieres I made for “Family Members” to wear. Lastly there are a few sneak peeks of bigger projects! Prepare to have your eyes overloaded with DIY projects.

I’m off to shower and get dressed up! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. If anyone wants more specific details on any of the projects they see here, let me know and I can do a full post after the wedding.

 

 

Master Bedroom Paint

It’s funny to call it the “master bedroom” as it’s probably only a foot larger than the other bedroom. A very tiny room.

When it came to painting, this room was #1 on the list, although it was actually painted in between the THREE coats the living room took. The funny thing is, the original color didn’t even really bother me much. I kind like a retro-olive-lime-green kinda color. The problem was that it looked like it hadn’t been painted in 20 years! Whatever idiot painted it before us used a Flat/Matte Paint, which not only isn’t washable AT ALL, but it also attracts dirt like it’s it’s job. Yuck! Like you could tell where the bed had been because there was definite “clean” spots and then greasy dirty spots all around it. It also looked like the last owners were really into Blu Tack (that really weird blue putty used to hang posters) and there were crusted on blobs of that everywhere. The trim alone was enough to make someone gag, the dirtiest grimiest off-white you have ever seen.

On top of the gross paint, there was also LARGE cracks and nail holes around the room. I filled all of these with Putty a few days before, then sanded them smooth. The area where the blaster is full on splitting is not permanently fixed, but there are no gaps really anymore. Its attention to detail like this that makes your paint look that much better in the end.

So reminder that you can watch the 360 video of the whole house (and this room). Here are some picture of the BEFORE. Sorry that the wall color keeps changing. The pictures were taken with my kinda crappy (cant white balance) camera at different time of the day (the first photo is the most accurate for color):

Gross. I know.

So after cleaning, filling holes, taping off, etc. I actually got to the painting. It took me 1 whole gallon to paint the four walls, something about plaster walls sucks that stuff up! The color I chose with Martha Stewart: Yellow Magnolia, however I had it colored matched into a Glidden Paint (for price reasons, and since Glidden owns Martha, its kinda the same thing without the fancy label) in Eggshell (no, its a sheen not a color). The trim is just a Gallon of Glidden Ultra Pure White (like off the shelf, no tint) in Semi Gloss.

Oh and I painted the ceiling with the leftover paint from the living room! Its Ralph Lauren’s Forde Abbey (however Ralph Lauren paint is no more, so I had them just shoot the formula into Glidden, as Glidden also rep’ed RL, and its the same paint) in Eggshell Sheen.

SIDE NOTE: I worked in the Paint Department at The Home Depot for a long time, which is why I know a fair amount about this stuff. I plan on doing a Paint products and knowledge PK in a later post for you all.