One of my favorite restaurants is the California Pizza Kitchen! I could go back and forth between their BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad and California Club Pizza every other day. I rarely eat there, because I really can’t stop at one or two slices, I need to eat the whole damn pizza. It’s that good.
We got avocados in our Door to Door Organics Box last week that were very ripe. They usually send us stuff that needs a day or two to ripen, but these were ready to go. Mr. Gaunt decided to make pizza, and I wanted him to use avocados **DING DING DING** California Club Pizza!
Here’s what you need for the healthier version of this pizza:
1 Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
3 Strips of Turkey Bacon
1 Cooked Chicken Breast OR 1 Large cooked Turkey Sausage (I would have used Chicken, but we didnt have any)
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Cup Shreaded 2% Mozzarella
2 Cups Chopped Lettuce
1 Heaping Table Spoon Fat Free Mayo
1 medium tomato (or lots of cherries tomatoes if that’s all you have!)
Optional Chopped Mushrooms and onions.
Preheat your oven per your pizza crusts directions.
1.Microwave your bacon (yes you can cook it in a pan too, this is just faster) Cut into little bits and set aside
2. Cut up your chicken or Turkey sausage into bite size pieces, set aside.
3. Chop up your onions and mushrooms and set aside
4. Brush olive oil over pizza crust. Sprinkle Meat, Veggies and Cheese onto crust. Bake per instructions (usually about 15min)
5. While your pizza is baking, put your Chopped (small pieces) lettuce into a bowl and toss with mayo. Cut up avocado and tomato into thin slices. Set aside.
6. When Pizza comes out of oven, spread the lettuce/mayo mixture evenly over the top. Lay avocado slices and tomato on top. Cut and enjoy!
To me this tasted almost EXACTLY like CPK’s pizza, with WAY fewer calories! I will definitely make this again. And it saved us over $20 not going out to eat..woohoo!