I think we should be getting our wedding photos back this next week, and then I plan to actually share a bit about our wedding. To be honest it was all a bit of a whirlwind, and when it was over I had both mixed emotions, and a huge weight off my shoulders. Its been…interesting. I will say, that I am 100% NOT suffering from any sort of “sad my wedding is over” feelings, none. I think I did it just like I wanted, as elaborate as I had wanted, and I have very few regrets. I was also very emotionally exhausted and drained once it was done.
I have so many opinions about things floating around my head that I want to make a list of just random wedding thoughts….here goes:
1. Every inch of every DIY project I did was 100% worth it. All the details mattered, and both my guest and I noticed them. I will never tell another bride “no one will notice” because they will, and it will be so worth it!
2. Setting up a wedding on the “Day Of” made relaxing before the wedding NOT possible. There was no sitting around eating breakfast and taking silly “getting dressed” shots for me. I woke up at 6 am and did not stop moving until 1 am.
3. Do a hair and makeup pre-run, otherwise you will end up with pageant hair and over-done makeup, and you will just have to be ok with it. I have shed a few tears, but am moving on.
4. Despite not relaxing, I was not stressed except for about 30 minutes while trying to get dressed alone, with Mr. Gaunt and the photographer waiting on my front lawn for me. The rest of the day was just fine, and my motto of “It’s Fine, Go With It” kept everything running smoothly without ever raising my voice.
5. Forgetting/loosing our marriage license, only meant we didn’t take a silly picture of us signing a piece of paper. No harm, no foul. We did it slightly drunk at midnight in our kitchen.
6. Writing the ceremony our way was PERFECTION. And even though I thought it was boring, I got more compliments on this over any other part of the wedding. Who woulda thought?
7. I ditched my shoes right after the first dance and never put any on again. Despite having purchased “comfy reception shoes”
8. The reason brides and grooms leave early is so they dont get to that drunken delirious place at 11pm…we got there, but we enjoyed every last-minute of that party.
9. Despite everyone telling us we should play music that all ages will like, we chose to play nothing but early 90’s hip hop with today’s hits mixed in. Our DJ kept the crowd dancing until the end! I have never seen that much dancing at a wedding….excellent!
10. Getting our “First Dance” over with before dinner, made me feel way more relaxed. Also switching our song from a 4.5 minute song to a 2.5 minute song, also was an excellent choice, and seemed plenty long. To be honest I always thought this moment would be more special. Really it was just sort of awkward and made me nervous…lol.
11. I bought Vegan and Gluten Free donuts for our dessert bar, and we had both vegan’s and Gluten free people eat them…woop woop! Everyone gets dessert!
12. Moderately bummed I forgot to put all the family boutonnieres on the family members…they were so cute!
13. Hiring a photographer off Craigslist for a ridiculously low price was an excellent idea…he blew my mind, and was the most organized and experienced person at our wedding. Despite my fears that he might not show at all.
14. It took 20 people about 2 hours to set up, it was amazing and smooth and beautiful!
15. Having Mr. Gaunt walk me down the aisle was also a real crowd pleaser (and a me pleaser too!)
16. No matter how much you trust your guests, if you line your aisle with candles, at least one will get knocked over.
17. Guestbooks, Cake Cutting, Garter toss, Boquet Toss, and “First Look” are all sort of awkward things I could have left out. They just felt rushed and like we were obligated to do them.
18. Your poor mother will work way too hard, no matter how much you want hr to enjoy herself, it’s just her nature.
19. The bridesmaids and groomsmen actually looked 10x better than I could have imagined! I was so very pleased with this.
20. My dress hem came out at the bottom and got very dirty. I was glad I tied it up.
21. My spray tan wore off my face early (I did it 3 days in advance) and I definitely had a pale face. It also turned the inside of my dress tan..BE WARNED!
22. All zits, menstruation, body aches and pains, puffyniss, and generally things a bride would worry about were all absent that day!
23. Ten days out weather prediction: 66 Rain. 5 Days out: 79 Sun. Day Before: 80 Windy. DAY OF: 70 Overcast. Despite my preference for 55 and grey (no one wants to be hot in formal wear!) it was probably pure wedding weather perfection.
24. No one will ever eat all the candy needed to fill Apothecary Jars.But on their honeymoon they will eat all the banana chips.
25. We invite 130. 89 RSVP’d. 85 Showed. We had place setting for 100…it was perfect.
26. MY Grandpa, and my Husband were the hit of the night, everyone loves them.
27. It was not the most beautiful I have ever felt. It was not the most in love I have ever felt with Mr. Gaunt. It was not the happiest day of my life. But it was the BEST DAMN DIY PARTY I have ever thrown!
In the end, I always knew, I was a much better party planner, than I am a bride. Lucky for me, I never have to be one again, but hopefully there will be many an event that needs to be thrown. I’m excited to share pictures too soon. I will probably dedicate a whole week to just wedding recap once they arrive. Sorry…lol.